Thanks for Checking In
Scissorcraft offers low cost, Ad-free subscriptions. Only $15.00 per year for thousands of quality, personally illustrated, educational graphics for children of any age or skill level.
Access to large images available upon log on.
The Ugly Duckling
The Ugly Duckling is a Hans Christian Andersen story, written in 1843, about the child of a swan whose egg accidentally rolled into a duck's nest. As a result, the swan is raised as a duckling in a community of ducks.
The story is an "Odd Man Out" tale of life as a person who differs from other members of a group:
- The relatable, atypical or unconventional person or thing
- Fish out of water
- Square peg in a round hole
I think self-Deprecating humor falls into the ugly duckling genre of humor. Case in point; Drew Cary, Marine, comedian, game-show host is a masterful Ugly Duckling who transformed into a Swan through self deprecating humor.
His timing, technique and delivery is perfectly timed to maximize impact on the audience.
Mr. Cary has perfected the technique of the long pause to invite audience anticipation. On his very first appearance on the Johnny Carson Tonight Show, he walked out on stage with his trademark crew cut and thick rimmed glasses and stood silently, with a smile on his face.
- to gain audience sympathy from first impression
- then he said "Ya, I know what I look like, thanks."
- to mock audience shallowness and challenge introspection he follows up with,
- "I don't know if looking like this is worth that one joke..."
Instant appeal. Today he hosts the Price Is Right, the world's most popular game show – Drew Carey is a swan among ducks.
Here are a few Table Topics questions which may draw out the inner swan:
- Abby Normal was name of insane killer's brain transplanted into Frankenstein monster's cranium.
Question: What name would give your brain?
- Group Think ignores the na-saying spreaders of cautionary tales
Question: Have you felt satisfaction that something failed because your input was dismissed?
- A friend once said he was protected by nature from unwelcome advances.
Question: What do you assume he meant?
- It was then ______________ I suddenly realized the "Person of Interest" was me!
- The last time tried to ____________________I felt like a square peg in a round hole
- When the _________________ happened, I knew I was the odd-man out
- My views on ____________________ make me feel like a fish out of water
- When ______________ happened the silence was so deafening I could hear a pin drop
- If the definition of an underdog a loser or predicted loser in a struggle or contest, a victim of injustice or persecution
Question: What is the meaning of:"There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!"
Copyright 2018 pat Kelley scissorcraft.blog.com